1. Something unusual, strange, or causing wonder or terror.
2. Astonishment; wonder.
1. Unexpected; strange; unusual.
had had half a thought, at the outset, of telling him about the ferly,
my glimpse of the palace. But I couldn't bring myself to it.
-- Clive Staples Lewis and Fritz Eichenberg, Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold.
Lord, ye'll have all the folk staring as if we were some ferly.
-- Margaret Oliphant, Kirsteen
is derived from Old English fǣrlīc meaning fǣr (fear) and -līc (-ly).
It was related to the Germangefährlich meaning dangerous.
Dictionary.com Word of the Day
Recommended Web Sites!
- Internet Public Library . The “Reading Room” is interesting. Books, magazine, journal links and much much more.
- File Extension Resource. Ever wonder what those extensions mean on a file? Check this site out for thousands of extensions, what they mean, and what programs open them
- The Purdue University Online Writing Lab ...MLA guidelines in research papers, and citing all sources from a single book to government ...
- New York Public Library's Digital Gallery provides free and open access to over 640,000 images digitized from the The New York Public Library's vast collections, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints, photographs and more.