Thursday, September 29, 2016

Meet the Staff: Katelyn Bennett

Position in Library: Library Assistant (Work Study)

Educational Background: I graduated from Berks Catholic High School in 2015. I am currently a sophomore here at Reading Area Community College, and intend to graduate this upcoming May with an Associate's degree in psychology. In the future, I am planning on attending Kutztown University for a Bachelor's degree in psychology. My ultimate dream is to obtain a Master's Degree in counseling. I would like to work primarily with adolescents who are affected by eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.

Favorite Books: I enjoy reading YA futuristic novels as well as nonfiction books that challenge my current way of thinking. My two top book series are the Gone series by Michael Grant and the Legend series by Marie Lu. My favorite book is The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Favorite Movies: A few of my favorite movies in no particular order are: The Fundamentals of Caring (2016), Hector and the Search for Happiness (2014), Donnie Darko (2001), Finding Nemo (2003), Zootopia (2016), Spirited Away (2001), and 21 Jump Street (2012).

Favorite Area of Library: My favorite area of the library is the third floor stacks. I enjoy looking at all of the books we have here, especially the Philosophy and Cookbook sections.

Special Interests: Ethics (Moral Philosophy), looking up various healthy cooking recipes, Native American heritage, and science

Hobbies: Photography, analyzing movie plots and writing reviews, listening to classical, Christian, and alternative artists, and going on walks around my neighborhood

Anything else you wish to share that will help others get to know you: I enjoy collecting various rocks and gems and have quite a good collection so far. I am involved in Phi Theta Kappa and a (soon-to-be) member of Psi Beta. I recently participated in Writing Wrongs, where I worked with several students to interview residents of Easy Does It, Inc. (a recovery center for individuals who are affected by addiction) and publish a magazine. The goal of this endeavor is to show individuals how addiction has impacted several lives and to eliminate the stigma attached to alcoholism/drug addiction. To learn more, check out writingwrongs2016.com. I am also a new member of the Front Street Journal here at Reading Area Community College.

No comments: