Friday, January 12, 2018

Walking with Peety: The Dog Who Saved My Life

Book Review by Kim Stahler, Instruction/Reference Librarian

The animal memoir is a genre I find hard to resist. I remember seeing the video about this man and his shelter dog online a few years ago. Their story of mutual adoption was created by the shelter and went viral. I was thrilled to see the story become the book, Walking with Peety: The Dog Who Saved My Life by Eric O'Grey with Mark Dagostino. You can, of course, find the book at The Yocum Library.

Middle-aged Eric O'Grey was so unhealthy, depressed, lonely, and anxiety-ridden that he felt he was at the end of his rope. In desperation and at the advice of a new doctor, he adopted an older, not-so-healthy shelter dog in the hopes they could get active together. And wow did they.

Eric had never even had a pet, yet the close bond he and Peety formed changed their lives in almost every way imaginable as Peety’s love opened his eyes to new things—some literally around the corner and others through Eric’s effort and open-mindedness. Eric now runs marathons and is an advocate for animals and health!

This was my favorite book in 2017. I really did not want it to end. I even friended the author on Facebook and was thrilled when he accepted me. Just look at Peety’s face on the cover. If you read this book, please tell me what you think.

No comments: