Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Word of the Day

cloister
 \ KLOI-ster \, verb;  
1.to confine in retirement; seclude.
2.to confine in a monastery or convent.
3.to furnish with a cloister or covered walk.
4.to convert into a monastery or convent.
noun:
1.a covered walk, especially in a religious institution, having an open arcade or colonnade usually opening onto a courtyard.
2.a place of religious seclusion, as a monastery or convent.
3.any quiet, secluded place.

Quotes:
That's when I began to cloister  myself, when I saw her strength, her determination to pull me out of my brooding.
-- Manil Suri, "The City of Devi ," 2013

Was it right to cloister  himself on this mountain?
-- Tami Hoag, "Dark Paradise ," 1994
Origin:
Cloister  comes from an Anglo-French blend of cloison , meaning "partition," and clostre , from the Late Latin word meaning "enclosed place."

Dictionary.com