Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fastnachts - Shrove Tuesday



Fastnachts

* I have had many many requests for Fastnachts. Fastnachts are raised doughnuts, and are made practically as many different ways as there are different cooks. Everyone has their own way of "preparing" them, too. Some of the more popular ways are??.
  • cut it in half and butter it
  • cut it in half and pour Turkey, King or Maple syrup over it
  • cut it in half and sprinkle powdered sugar on it
  • my family, does all three.
This is NOT a low-fat treat. If you're looking for something good for you, this isn't it. If you're looking for something absolutely delicious, this is it. The story, from what I could gather, is ?.. Fastnacht Day is on Shrove Tuesday, that is, the day before Ash Wednesday when lent starts. Lent is a time of fasting, and the dutch thought the day before should be spent eating "rich" to sort of store it up for lent. I remember when I was a child, I helped my Aunt in the kitchen making them, I smelled like Fastnachts for days. In this area, church groups make dozens of them and sell them. They're delicious!!!

Fastnachts - recipe 1
For the sponge:
  • 1 cake yeast
  • 2 c. lukewarm water
  • 4 scant c. sifted flour
Before bed, break and soak yeast in lukewarm water for 20 minutes. Mix with flour to a thick batter. Cover and let rise in warm place overnight until doubled.
For the dough:
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 3/8 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 5 c. or more of flour
In the morning cream together the shortening, sugar and salt. Add this to the risen sponge, with the beaten eggs and spice. Stir in as much flour as mixture will take up readily, making a rather soft dough. Mix well. Let rise until doubled in bulk. If desired, stir down and let rise again until nearly doubled. Turn onto floured board, pat or roll until 1/3 inch thick and cut with doughnut cutter. Cover to prevent drying and let rise until doubled. Fry in deep hot fat about 375 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, test temp with 1 inch square of bread, which should brown in 1 minute.