Sunday, April 27, 2014

Word of the Day

grimalkin
 \ gri-MAL-kin, -MAWL- \  , noun;  
1.a cat.
2.an old female cat.
3.an ill-tempered old woman.

Quotes:
In the dead of the night there was a fearful caterwauling; some grimalkin  was uncivil to her; then there was a scramble, then a clapper-clawing; then both parties rolled off the roof and tumbled from a great height among the trees on the hillside.
-- Washington Irving, "Tales of the Alhambra" , 1832

I have never felt more comfortable in my spirit. I had no thought of you until my Grimalkin  mewed at my window, and to admit him I had need to face the garden where we…
-- Rebecca West, "Harriet Hume" , 1929

Origin:
Grimalkin  is apparently an alteration of the words gray  and malkin , which is a diminutive form of the name Maud.

Dictionary.com