Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Meet the Staff: Mary Ellen Guertin Heckman

Name/nickname: Mary Ellen Guertin Heckman but a few people have called me “Meg” based on my initials. I don’t respond if you call me “Mary” because I was named for both of my grandmothers who need to get equal billing.

Job title: Associate Dean of Library Services and Learning Resources

Years at RACC: I have been at RACC since 1986 and in charge of the library since 1995.

Brief description of your responsibilities: In my job description it states that I am “responsible for the total oversight of the operation of the College's library, including, but not limited to, program planning, long range planning, budget oversight, and staff supervision.

Name one or two things that you love about working in The Yocum Library: I love helping to create a library that has a strong service philosophy. I love working with students to help them discover library resources although I don’t get the chance to do this too much in my job.

Favorite movie: My favorite drama is Citizen Kane and my favorite comedy is What’s Up, Doc? and I love watching most of the movies on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.

Favorite book: My favorite book is Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice which my mother gave me as a teenager when I was home sick. I reread it every year.

Who inspires you? I do much research for family histories of my own family plus for friends and I am in awe of our ancestors who left their homes and families and came to a new land with more hope than resources.

What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now (work, school, personal)? I am helping the Berks History Center’s Women’s History Alliance by researching the lives of Berks County’s early suffrage leaders. There will be a big celebration next year for the 100th anniversary of women getting the vote.

What’s your secret talent that no one knows about? I make Christmas crackers for family and friends. 

If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? I would spend as much time with my family, especially, my grandson Declan and my granddaughter Nora.

Community/volunteer activities: I present programs on family history research at local libraries.

Anything else you wish to add? I love working at RACC because our students make all of us #RACCProud!

No comments: